Lightly pan fried, seasoned tofu wrapped in nori and crunchy paper-thin layer of beancurd sheets. Served with sweet and sour sauce, and garnished with fresh cilantro (coriander) and roasted sesame seeds! Mmmm Yum!
A vegetarian friend of mine made these for me many years ago. When I first tasted it, I was immediately hooked. I thought to myself, if I can make these and cook like her, I don’t mind being a vegetarian at all!
These are so good as appetizer or as a complete meal with rice and some stir fry vegetables. I like to add a little bit of chilli sauce into the sweet and sour sauce to spice it up a notch! My son likes to dip these with ketchup or mayonnaise. Whatever sauce you have it with, you will love it!
|Crispy Tofu Nuggets with Sweet and Sour Sauce|| |
For the Tofu Nuggets:
- 12 oz fresh firm tofu, rinsed and diced in small cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- Beancurd sheets
- Dried roasted nori (seaweed) sheets
- Cilantro (coriander)
- ¼ cup of Vegetable oil for pan frying
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons ketchup (tomato sauce)
- 2 tablespoons chilli sauce or paste
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- Add tofu, salt, sesame oil, soy sauce, pepper and egg into mixing bowl and mash thoroughly.
- Place a piece of cling wrap (glad wrap) on chopping board, then a piece of beancurd sheet on top, and then a nori sheet.
- Add three spoons of filling.
- Wrap up nori sheet into a roll (see step by step pictures above).
- Wrap the roll with the beancurd sheet.
- Then wrap with cling wrap.
- Repeat the steps until you get 5-6 rolls.
- Place into microwave for 3 minutes, then turn over and microwave again for another 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool, peel off plastic and slice.
- Add oil to a non-stick pan and pan fry until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and cilantro.
- Serve immediately with sweet and sour sauce.
- Add sauce ingredients in a small pot or pan, stir, bring to boil and pour into a dipping bowl.
Preferred chilli paste: Vegetarian Sambal Oelek (available from any asian grocery store).
Beancurd sheets can be purchased from Asian grocery store in the refrigerated or frozen areas.
Firm tofu must be used, soft or medium tofu will not hold as well. Any type will do as long as its firm tofu.
If you prefer not to microwave the tofu rolls, you can also steam for 15 minutes, wait until it cools, slice and then fry.