Ginkgo nut, barley and bean curd dessert 白果腐竹雞蛋薏米糖水. A light, refreshing and nourishing dessert!
This is one of the most popular dessert soups in Asia that’s enjoyed during the Lunar New Year and all through the year.
It tastes very much like rich soy milk, yet it also has a unique delicate flavor from the ginkgo nuts and a subtle nutty flavor from the wholegrain barley. The bean curd skin, also known as tofu skin, used for making this dessert are made from heated soy bean milk in an open vessel for forming the skin. It is what gives the dessert the rich soy milk taste.
Ginkgo biloba, or “銀杏／白果” in Chinese, is a nut that comes from the Maidenhair tree. The nut is used in many Lunar New Year dishes and desserts as a symbol of wealth. The shape of the ginkgo nut is believed to resemble silver ingots. The unique health benefits of ginkgo nut include its ability to improve memory, boost vision, treat depression, boost circulation, reduce blood pressure, boost heart health and slow the signs of aging.
Make this simple nutritious and delicious dessert to celebrate the Lunar New Year or any day of the year!
|Ginkgo Nut, Barley and Bean Curd Dessert|| |
- 4 tablespoons dried barley, washed and soaked for 2 hours in hot water.
- 3 oz (90 g) ginkgo nut (fresh, vacuumed packed or canned).
- 8 cups water
- 4-5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 oz (30 g) dried bean curd
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- The dried barley needs to be soaked in hot water at least 2 hours in advance.
- Heat water in a pot and bring to boil. Add barley and ginkgo nuts. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar and dried beancurd. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour beaten egg slowly and stir swiftly.
- Serve immediately.