Crispy golden bite size lentil kale fritters full of healthy goodness. High in protein, high in fiber, vegan, gluten and guilt free!
These healthy fritters were introduced to me by a friend who made them at a potluck. They were so tasty, light yet incredibly filling! I tweaked with the recipe to make it vegan and gluten free and added a little curry powder to spice it up a little. You can blend the lentils if you prefer a smoother texture but I like the crunch of the fried whole lentil pieces. They are delicious served with a refreshing cilantro Veganaise (vegan mayonnaise) dipping sauce.
The essential step in this recipe is to soak the lentils overnight prior to cooking to allow them to sprout. What are the benefits of sprouting them? Sprouting neutralizes phytic acid, to allow as much calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc to be absorbed during digestion. Also, additional enzymes are produced during the germination process that help digestion.
These lentil kale fritters are full of healthy goodness! Give them a try!
Happy cooking and healthy eating!
|Lentil Kale Fritters|| |
For the Fritters
- ¼ cup red lentils, soaked overnight
- ¼ cup green lentils,soaked overnight
- 1 kale leaf, washed, sliced into thin shreds
- 7 oz soft tofu, diced into cubes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¾ cup garbanzo bean (chick pea) flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Sauce:
- ½ cup of Veganaise (Vegan Mayonaise)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon shredded cilantro (coriander)
- Add all the ingredients (except the garbanzo bean flour and oil) into a bowl.
- Wash hands, squeeze and mix all the ingredients together.
- Add the garbanzo bean flour and mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil in pan at medium heat.
- Scoop up teaspoon size of mixture, flatten it like a mini pancake and gently place into hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown and scoop up onto paper towel plate.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together.
Soft tofu works best with this recipe. Firm tofu will give a harder and dryer texture.
Veganaise can be found at Sprouts Supermarket in the USA. Check the website below for other stores that sells them.