The most delicious and easy tomato steamed rice you will ever make! Less than 5 minutes to prepare and the rice cooker will do the rest!
This post is long overdue. We moved into our new home back in March and spent the first week eating out everyday because we were still unpacking. I enjoy eating out most of the time but after one whole week, it was getting a bit costly. I also started craving for something non oily, with less salt, less sugar, healthy, tasty and just simple. Real simple! Which is what this easy tomato steamed rice is all about!
You basically place a tomato into the rice cooker along with the rice, a little seasoning and oil. Then let the rice cooker work it’s magic and relax!
If you’re feeling a little adventurous, you can even add corn, diced carrots, edamame beans, pine nuts or whatever you normally add to fried rice really!
Seriously, ever since I started cooking this easy tomato rice, we like it so much it has become part of our weekly dinner rotation. This tomato rice goes well with the Ginger Vegetable and Tofu Stir Fry, Stir Fry Green Beans or the Eggplant Tofu with Spicy Black Bean Sauce.
So simple, so delicious! Give it a try!
|Easy Tomato Rice|| |
- 2 cups uncooked pre-washed basmati rice or regular white rice
- 1 and ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Few drops of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon shitake mushroom seasoning or vegetable bouillon.
- 1 large tomato (stem removed and bottom cut - see picture)
- Wash rice, drain and place into rice cooker bowl.
- Add water and the rest of the ingredients, except the tomato and mix well.
- Remove the tomato stem and cut a 'x' at the bottom of the tomato and place into rice cooker bowl. Cook rice until ready.
- When rice is ready, mix the tomato into the rice and serve immediately.